Built in 1896, the New City Hotel was once a symbol of pride, strength and the promise of Norwalk. Years later, the building became distressed and blighted. Crime was an everyday occurrence and the promise of the future was forgotten in the face of surviving each day. In 1996, The Human Services Council and concerned neighbors decided to rehabilitate and revitalize the building to house Norwalk area homeless and imminently homeless in need of safe affordable housing and supportive services. Consisting of 44 single occupancy units, 40 South Main Street provides residents with the dignity and responsibility that stable housing provides. Today, 40 South Main Street advances the economic and community development of the South Norwalk neighborhood, contributing to its vitality and growth.
The buildings owner, HSC provides more than just mailboxes for residents. 40 South Main provides stable, safe and quality housing for tenants to advance and achieve independence and who would otherwise be homeless or at-risk of homelessness. HSC in collaboration with the City of Norwalk, Family and Childrens Agency, and area resources provide necessary services. Residents may access services relating to medical care, nutrition, employment and education, such as:
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
- GED and literacy programs
- Employment search support
- Access to medical care and needed medications
- Community room and courtyard for holiday celebrations and tenant events
- Provides an immediate system of support through tenant seminars and other planned community activities.
- Clear reduction of street homelessness, advancing the economic development of the South Norwalk District as a tourist, shopping, dining and entertainment destination.
- Advancing the independence of tenants, making way for other area residents in need of safe and decent housing.
- Engaging local students and to teach counsel residents.
Address: 40 South Main Street, Norwalk, CT 06854; Main phone#: 203.854.4855
40 South Main Street Marks 15 Years of Sheltering the Homeless
“40 South Main is an asset to the community in South Norwalk, preserving an historical building and saving lives. This is the last safety net before homelessness and the first step out of it.” – Doug Adams, President, 40 South Main Street Limited Partnership